status of IPv6 support with LVS/ipvsadm?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: status of IPv6 support with LVS/ipvsadm?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 17:29:25 -0600 (CST)

All-

I've been through most of the LVS-HOWTO and have searched the LVS wiki and
the mailing list archives, and it's still not clear to me what the status
of support for IPv6 is.  The link on getting involved:

        http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/getinvolved.html

strongly indicates that IPv6 is still on the "To Do" / wishlist.

I also have found

  http://www.yggr-drasill.com/LVS6/documents.html

but that particular branch seems to have withered.  I also found an
email to the list from Ye Angyue in September of 2004:

  http://archive.linuxvirtualserver.org/html/lvs-users/2004-09/msg00068.html

We've been happily using LVS-DR for years, first with a custom Linux
distribution on the director and realservers, and now with RHEL 4 on
the director (custom kernel, 2.6.12.6) and the realservers (stock kernels).
We're currently load balancing ldap, smtp, and http/https (persistent,
in front of a Blackboard LMS).  We're currently using ipvsadm 1.24.
Everything we've implemented is working great.

Our organization is looking to move to full support for IPv6, meaning we
would be dual-stack (both IPv4 and IPv6) for all the services we provide.
That would include having the virtual IPs (VIP) for our services published
as IPv6 AAAA records in the DNS, clients that connect to that VIP on the
director using IPv6, and an LVS director communicating with the RIPs and
the RIPs communicating back to the client, all using IPv6 instead of IPv4.

Can this be done with the current ipvsadm and what's already in the 2.6 kernel (assume latest stable kernel)? If so, does anyone have any
words of wisdom or a list of gotchas to watch for?

If not, is anyone working on this, or even have an idea where to start?
Even an estimate of what would need to be done would be useful.  One
of my coworkers, who's much more familiar with Linux internals than I am,
has taken a quick look and believes that most of the work would need to
be in the Linux netfilter code.

Any input or clarifications anyone could provide on this would be
much appreciated,

Thanks,

Tim
--
Tim Mooney                                           Tim.Mooney@xxxxxxxx
Information Technology Services                      (701) 231-1076 (Voice)