Re: LVS/TUN MTU problem, missing hints in documentation

Subject: Re: LVS/TUN MTU problem, missing hints in documentation
From: "jarol1@xxxxxxxxx" <J.Libak@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2006 00:35:26 +0100
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, jarol1@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Today I ran into problem of MTU in LVS/Tunneling.

Small packets were forwarded to real servers without problems, but the bigger ones weren't and TCP retransmissions occurred. I noticed the problem dissapeared when I switched to LVS/DR so this gave me hint to where the problem might be. MTU 1480 had to be set on the outgoing interface of realservers with tunl0 having standard 1500. Directors have 1500 on all interfaces. This way TCP syn ack contained correct MTU and client didn't send big packets that were discarded on director anymore. IP header is 20 bytes long so 1480 is the maximum value that works.

It isn't mentioned in documentation that this problem will occur if tunneling is used

http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-Tun.html#MTU

This was a hard problem to figure out and solve. People worked on this for about 2yrs before finding a satisfactory solution. The problem is that the ipip code in Linux doesn't handle fragmentation (or handle it properly).

You did well to come up with a solution in one go.

Joe

I was thinking a sort of warning could be added either to http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/VS-IPTunneling.html or to the ultramonkey website. There could be a link to the http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.LVS-Tun.html#MTU on how to deal with it.

Jaro