Re: LVS-Tun and realserver's initiating connections

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LVS-Tun and realserver's initiating connections
From: "Piotr Szturmaj" <gacek999@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:55:23 +0100
Thank you both for answers.

>> It should work like below:
>> - I send SYN from realserver to outside of cluster.
>
> This SYN will have srcIP equal to RIP. Client will then respond to this
> RIP and bypass director. If RIP is private it will not work.

So each realserver must have public IP

>> - Client sends ACK and director tunnels it to the same realserver which
>> initiated connection.
>
> Director knows nothing about RS sending a SYN, and might forward packets
> to wrong RS.
>
>> - Connection is established between exactly the same endpoints.
>>
>> Is this possible? Or how?
>>

> I see no reason to use LVS in this scenario. LVS is for applications where
> the request is initiated from the client not the server.

This will be clustered XMPP server, clients will be balanced across few
realservers on port 5222. Another port will be used for 3rd party servers
from outside of cluster. Until now everything should work. But my server
must connect to 3rd party servers too. So there is load balancing for
incoming connections + outgoing connections managed at application level.