RE: How to NAT The FTP-DATA Connection?

Subject: RE: How to NAT The FTP-DATA Connection?
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 22:56:00 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 22 Dec 2006, Robinson, Eric wrote:

the RIPs then must be public IPs?

No. The configuration looks basically as follows. This is a
simplification. The real configuration has 2 corporate firewalls
(active/passive cluster), 2 load-balancers (active/passive cluster), and
2 FTP servers. But I'm no good at creating ASCII network drawings.

OK so you're at home with your client PC and traversing a bunch of stuff, to arrive at the VIP of the LVS. Can you plunk your laptop (or whatever) down into the network of the VIP for testing?

 My PC (Client)
   |    *10.0.0.109
   |
   |    *10.0.0.12
My Firewall
   |    *Public IP
   |         ||
   |         ||
Internet      || <- Tunnel
   |         ||
   |         ||
   |     *Public IP
Corporate Firewall
   |     *192.168.5.1
   |
   |     *192.168.5.100 (VIP)
Load-balancer
   |     *192.168.10.100
   |
   |     *192.168.10.62 (RIP)
FTP Server

if the client is connecting with the VIP, why is it accepting an
ftp-data connect request from the RIP?

I admit that is a VERY good question.

Here you're showing me what doesn't work. You have something that does work (the ftp-data from the RIP). Can you show me how that works?

All I can say is, it is happening.

This might be central to the problem.

Attached is an Ethereal trace (ftp_nonat) captured on "My PC" when I
initiated an FTP connection to the VIP of the load-balancer. The
transaction starts on packet #3. In packet #23 you can see my GET
command with the destination of the VIP. In the next packet, you see the
RealServer open the FTP-DATA connection with a source address of
192.168.10.62.

then what happens to the packet?

The load-balancer's internal interface (192.168.10.100) is the FTP
server's default gateway.

OK