Re: [lvs-users] Need help determining if LVS is for us

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Need help determining if LVS is for us
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:43:55 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007, Rio wrote:

> i assume here you mean because there would be 2 copies of
> each mailbox with no control over which copy a user reads.

yes

> the mail server software (surgemail) has built-in 2-way
> mirroring that updates each other within milliseconds of a
> change..

This has always been a bit of a problem. I didn't know about
surgemail. I see it's not GPL/FOSS. I can't imagine it would
be too hard to add this to GPL mailservers.

>> You'll need two if you want failover.
>
> failovers of directors, but if, say, one director handles
> 2 ips for 2 identical services on 2 servers, if one server
> goes down does that not do auto-failover for the real
> server portion?

there's too many "servers" in there. You can failover
one-by-one individual services running on the realservers
too if that's what you're asking. That is also handled by
external packages like mon, ldirectord and keepalived.