Re: [lvs-users] LVS and OpenVZ

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS and OpenVZ
From: Rio <rio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:51:20 -0400
On Friday 29 June 2007 10:03, Gerry Reno wrote:
> Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> > On Thu, 28 Jun 2007, Gerry Reno wrote:
> >

> >> Has anyone ever been able to use LVS with OpenVZ?
> >>

> > no-one has tried it that I know.
> >
> > I'm at OLS waiting for the first talk of the day. I'd never
> > heard of OpenVZ, but I look up at the screen to see that the
> > upcoming talk is being given by 3 guys from OpenVZ. Howabout
> > that!
> >
> > All I can say it that it would have to work or there's a
> > problem with OpenVZ.

also please check out linux-vserver

 http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org

we have been running it for a year now with absolutely no hiccups whatsoever
and no excessive loading! we have 84 virtual servers on 1 machine and 40 on
another machine and i am configuring a third host as i write this. my
estimates are that the 2 existing machines could easily handle 100 virtual
servers each. the virtuals can be mostly any linux distro mix though the most
popular are gentoo, debian, redhat, centos and ubuntu.

it supports mostly all the popular linux distros, and Gentoo supports it fully
within its packaging system.

i am also building a director box to place LVS in charge of some of these
virtual servers as a test and once i have the configurations  set up
properly, most of the critical vservers we have will run off LVS.

we have successfully reduced 9 racks of hardware to less than 1/3 of 1 rack.

i even run vservers on my personal workstation so i can have a test server
off-network on demand, and i also have an additional kde workstation as a
virtual server that i allow our techs to access remotely so they can get to
some of the more private parts of the network that only my machine has access
to.

i am a bit biased i am sure, but i believe you will love it once you set your
first one up. i can now set up a server running with all standard apps
installed and ready to configure in approx 20 min.

Chuck