Re: [lvs-users] where is connection?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] where is connection?
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 00:06:01 +0100
On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 17:43 -0400, Gerry Reno wrote:
> So they would not even be shown as InActConn, right?

No. Closed connections are neither active nor inactive, they're closed.

For LVS-NAT the director sees the whole transaction, so it knows that a
connection has been opened/is active/is closing/has just closed/has
cleared.
For DR, the director might have to take a best guess since it may not
see the entire transaction. This is where the inactconns come from;
they're still not completely closed. Once an RST goes through, the
connection is finished and is neither an "act" nor an "inacct"
connection.

> I have not tested but will the arp_ignore and arp_announce changes on
> the real servers survive a reboot or will they go back to the original
> settings?

Put them in /etc/sysctl.conf.

> Is there an easy way to test my upstream router for GARP? It is 5 year
> old GbE.

Quiesce (ie. shutdown) everything. Make sure the router has no ARP
entries for the VIP.
Fire up one director but *do not* make any client connections. If the
router has an ARP entry for the VIP immediately afterwards, it handles
GARP. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

It won't hurt you to ping the router (the RS default gateway) from the
VIP on transition, even if the router does handle GARP. At least you'll
know that it knows, IYSWIM.

ping -c3 -I $VIP $GW

is what you need (one hopes). That would send 3 packets, 1 second apart,
from $VIP to the gateway router - but it will *only* work if the
director currently has the VIP.

Graeme