Re: [lvs-users] different algorithms and persistence

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] different algorithms and persistence
From: Nikolaj <lorddoskias@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:33:05 +0300
Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Oct 2007, Nikolaj wrote:
>
>> If I'm right about the hashing as I said above, what's the difference
>> with source hashing?
>
> what's the difference between source hashing and what?

The difference between source hashing and round-robin. If someone makes
a connection and with round robin is redirected to realserve1 (for
example) won't the subsequent connections to the same service go to the
same realserver1? Because when a connection is made (irrespective of the
used algo) LVS hashes the attributes of that connection - IPs, sequence
numbers etc?

>> For example if a given ip has already made a
>> connection to one service and made another connection to a different
>> service but with the same source ip address the second connection will
>> be redirected to the same real server as the first one, won't it?
>
> if the client makes a 2nd connection to the same virtual
> service at some later time, the connection will go to the
> same realserver.
>
>> Excerpt from the howto
>> "The -dh (destination hash) algorythm makes a hash from the target IP
>> and all requests to that IP will be sent to the same realserver. This
>> means that content from a URL will not be retrieved multiple times from
>> the remote server. The realservers (eg squids in this case) will each be
>> retreiving content from different URLs."
>>
>> But the client doesn't know what are the real ips of the real servers
>> how can they be cached (the ip addresses)? Or maybe LVS hashes the
>> destination ip after it receives the packets and decides to witch real
>> server to send it?
>
> -DH is for squids. The target address is the IP of the URL,
> not the VIP or the RIP

Hmz, I'm baffled. For example if I want to retrieve 212.250.235.20
(random ip address) isn't it necessary to have this ip as VIP bound on a
LVS redirector? If you could elaborate on this, please.