Re: [lvs-users] Layer-7 udp routing or no schedular for udp traffic

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Layer-7 udp routing or no schedular for udp traffic
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:06:13 -0800 (PST)
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007, mog wrote:

>        It is a chat
>        server that
>        talks over udp.

look at the one packet scheduler for usp

>        Here are the two solutions I see.
>                So I am able to maintain state across my real servers so
>        I could
>        have
>        the director send all packets to all real servers, and then the
>        servers
>        would decide how to properly respond.  Is there a method for
>        this?

you would use a 3-tier LVS and only one realserver would get
the packet.

>                My second solution would be require work for sure, have
>        the
>        director
>        look at the first 4 bytes of the udp packet, as that contains
>        all the
>        session information i would need, and could route to the correct
>        real
>        server or another real server if the correct real server died.

you could do this with fwmark and u32 from iptables

This is not something that we do much with on LVS, so we
haven't developed the tools etc. Whether LVS would  be a
good framework for your application I don't know. We just
haven't done enough with you r sort of application to know.