Re: [lvs-users] ipvs and iptables :: how do they mesh together?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] ipvs and iptables :: how do they mesh together?
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 18:02:32 +0000
On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 12:57 -0500, Jason Ledford wrote:
> First off, I am no expert.  But iptables is part of network on linux.
> Iptables alone could route connections, it can act as a firewall and block
> connections, it can masquerade connections and so on and so on, but it can
> not do load balancing.  That's where ipvs steps in, ipvs will load balance
> the connection.

IPVS hooks into the packet flow through the network stack at various
points, so it interoperates with the Netfilter (ie. iptables) code.

Somehwre from the dim and distant past I worked out where it all hooked
in (and out). Joe asked me months ago to write it up, and I managed part
of it but not the whole thing - sometime in the new year I'll revisit
this and write something up properly.

Graeme