[lvs-users] LVS performance on SMP

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS performance on SMP
From: New User <jfjm2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Mar 2009 21:45:12 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

We are currently running dedicated LVS-NAT (with the exception of iptables):
 Intel Xeon 3060 @ 2.4GHz (2 cores)
 2G RAM
 2 Gb/s NIC (one external, one internal)
 LVS-NAT
 Linux 2.6.18 kernel

It appears we are running out of CPU (usage reached 160, with 40 idle, 2 cores)
when we reach:
 ~10K CPS
 ~100K InPPS
 ~120K OutPPS
 ~1 million+ active and number of objects in the ip_vs_conn entry in
/proc/slabinfo

We are considering upgrading the setup to the following:
 2 x Intel Xeon 5430 (2 CPUs, 4 cores each)
 8G RAM
 8 Gb/s NIC (4x1Gb in bonding for external, 4x1Gb in bonding for internal)
 LVS-NAT
 Linux 2.6.18 (possible newer if it offers performance increase)

The question is how well can the LVS code take advantages of the multiple CPU.
There are some conflicting answers to this question on the FAQ and mailing list
(in gernal, it helps with the system as a whole). In our actual
usage experience, it appears SMP helps, since it did reach 160 CPU usage.
However, I do not know if this is real or just an illusion. I do not know if
LVS is actually doing real work that caused the usage to be above 100 or is it
because of SMP that causing locks that resulted that. Also, in our limited
testing of the new setup, we find the SMP helps because with 8 NICs, just to
process the interrupts can overwhelm a single CPU (core).

Can anyone share their knowledge or experience for the following:
 1. Can LVS increase linearly in capacity when we go from the setup we
currently have (2 cores with 2 NICs) to what we are considering (8 cores, with
8 NICs)
 2. Has anyone else used similiar setup that can share their experience? There
was a posting to the mailing list in Dec. 2007 that indicated the performance
limit is ~450K (don't know if it's the sum of InPPS and OutPPS) pps. There was
no conclusive answer as to this was the limit of LVS or not
 3. Has anyone have a setup that can process 1+ million pps (LVS-NAT) on a
single LVS machine (we already use multipel LVS with keepalived in a live-live
configuration)?

Thanks