Re: [lvs-users] LVS performance on SMP

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS performance on SMP
From: jason.faulkner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 02:07:36 -0500 (EST)
-----Original Message-----
From: "New User" <jfjm2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 3, 2009 12:45am
To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] LVS performance on SMP

Can anyone share their knowledge or experience for the following:
 1. Can LVS increase linearly in capacity when we go from the setup we
currently have (2 cores with 2 NICs) to what we are considering (8 cores, with
8 NICs)
 2. Has anyone else used similiar setup that can share their experience? There
was a posting to the mailing list in Dec. 2007 that indicated the performance
limit is ~450K (don't know if it's the sum of InPPS and OutPPS) pps. There was
no conclusive answer as to this was the limit of LVS or not
 3. Has anyone have a setup that can process 1+ million pps (LVS-NAT) on a
single LVS machine (we already use multipel LVS with keepalived in a live-live
configuration)?

I'd be willing to bet that your problem lies in "soft IRQ %"... basically,
you're CPU is getting eaten up by NIC interrupts moreso than anything
LVS/iptables related.

I've yet to find a good solution to this; if there is one I'm very keen to hear
it.

--
Jason Faulkner
Linux Systems Engineer