Re: [lvs-users] LVS performance on SMP

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS performance on SMP
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 09:28:40 +0000
On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 09:59 +0100, Kit Gerrits wrote:
> I don't know if the system balances IRQ handling over multiple cores.
> If so, upgrading to quadcore should linearly scale your performance.

http://www.cs.uwaterloo.ca/~brecht/servers/apic/SMP-affinity.txt

Although slightly dated now, the basics in there still apply. You can
make a given interrupt (or device driving interrupts) have an affinity
with a single processor core.

Generally speaking, interrupts are shared more or less equally across
all cores so more cores should scale performance well; however in some
circumstances it can be beneficial to assign a given interrupt driver to
a specific core so you then know where the load on that core is coming
from.

I should point out that the OP stated a "usage" (which I assume to mean
% CPU utilisation) of 160 - that's a good thing. There's no point having
a totally idle CPU!

When utilisation hit 160%, what was the 1/5/15 minute load average?

Graeme