Re: [lvs-users] Help with diagnosing performance issue 60K connections g

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Help with diagnosing performance issue 60K connections graphs provided
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:04:02 +0000
On Thu, 2009-03-12 at 09:18 +0000, Malcolm Turnbull wrote:
> When the active connections climb to 60,000 and throughput is about
> 100MB+ we get a sudden and massive drop of in throughput...

That looks to me very much like an interrupt-handling issue. What
architecture are your NICs using - PCI, PCIe etc etc? Are they on board
using a common bus?

I'd surmise that either they're on a common PCI bus which is saturated,
or they're sharing an IRQ and just can't go any faster. Can you separate
them (either in BIOS or driver)?

You might want to look back at CPU affinity which was discussed
recently, although you say this a Celery so that throws out SMP magic as
a fix!

Graeme