[lvs-users] I can't find this, the question is so stupid

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] I can't find this, the question is so stupid
From: Don Steiny <steiny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:49:58 -0700
Hi,

    I have been googling this for days.  I can't understand the VIP.  I
have a linux system that has eth0 and eth1.  Eth0 is part of a public
network and I use ssh to access it.  Eth1 is a private network with
another set of addresses that I cannot access externally. On the
internal network there is one (soon to be more, this is set up and
testing) Windows 2003 server.  I want to set up load balancing.  We will
add more machines when I get this working but we rent them and we do not
want to pay for them while I thrash around.  The realservers will be
running a Microsoft communication thing, but I know the port number.  I
need to keep the connections to the machines they started on as much as
possible, so it seems to me that DC is the way to go.

    We have some IP address assigned to us in the data center.  Should I
just use ifconfig eth0:1 to create a new IP address that is different
than the one I use to ssh into the machine, or can I use that IP
address.  Let's say I use ipvsadm and set up the realserver on port 80.
When I contact the original linux machine, why will it not try and get
the Web server that is living on that machine, or will it?  I am missing
something.  There are many conflicting sets of directions on how to do
this, but I can't find anything that tells specifically how to set up
the VIP. Also some say use ipchains, others don't mention it. Aarg!  I
am on Debian: 2.6.26-1-686

    If any kind, benevolent soul want to earn good Karma, shave time off
of purgatory or just go to sleep feeling wonderful about helping a
hardworking fellow geek in need, please write me at:
steiny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx - Let me just say you are wondeful in advance!!
-Don