[lvs-users] Trying Hard to Understand the Sync Daemon's Behavior

Subject: [lvs-users] Trying Hard to Understand the Sync Daemon's Behavior
From: "Robinson, Eric" <eric.robinson@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 16:50:13 -0700
Okay guys, I run lvs+heartbeat+ldirectord on a pair or clustered load
balancers (active/passive).

On both the active and passive nodes, I have the following:

        ipvsadm --start-daemon master
        ipvsadm --start-daemon backup

When I look at connection informationm using 'ipvsadm -Lcn' I see very
strange behavior:

1. The passive/backup computer usually has MORE connections than the
active/master.

2. The backup has DIFFERENT connections than the master. Some match,
others do not, and there are often connections on one that are not on
the other. I'm aware that it takes time for the connection details to
propagate, but I've waited for minutes for connections to expire on the
backup and they just seem to stay in there forever, even after they have
been removed from the master.

3. A new connection shows up in the master, and moments later it shows
up in the backup. That's great, but then a couple of minutes later it
might DISAPPEAR from the backup, even though the client has not
disconnected and the connection still shows in the master.

I tried changing the configs as follows:

On the Master:

        ipvsadm --start-daemon master --syncid 1
        ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --syncid 2

On the Slave:

        ipvsadm --start-daemon master --syncid 1
        ipvsadm --start-daemon backup --syncid 2

I have ALSO tried having only the active load balancer be master and
only the passive load balancer be backup, but the behavior seems to be
the same.

Can someone tell me what I'm failing to understand about the sync
daemon?

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - August 1, 2009
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and
might not represent those of Physician Select Management and Physician's
Managed Care. Warning: Although Physician Select Management and Physician's
Managed Care have taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present
in this email, the companies cannot accept responsibility for any loss or
damage arising from the use of this email or attachments.