Re: [lvs-users] Sync table PIRANHA (DIRECT ROUTING) works only long last

To: Raul da Silva {Sp4wn} <sp4wn.root@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Sync table PIRANHA (DIRECT ROUTING) works only long lasting connections
From: Simon Horman <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 12:25:13 +1100
On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 01:24:58PM -0200, Raul da Silva {Sp4wn} wrote:
> I heard the following about flow of "master/bakcup" sync (piranha + dr ):
>
> Once a connection is established, the master sync daemon (on the active
> director) sends data to the backup sync daemon (on the backup director).
> The backup director is then aware of an established connection. If the
> primary director fails, the backup will take over and still forward packets
> from an established connection to the right reral server.
>
> This works fine on long lasting connections (interactive sessions like FTP,
> telnet, SSH and so on) but doesn't on short connections (http without
> keepalive for example).
>
> Is it true ? if is true I think the better way to solve this is implement
> some solution like conntrack-tools (netfilter).

Hi Raul,

there are some implementation details relating to packet counts and
connection synchronisation that can influence the non-synchronisation
of packets, but I'm not sure that they would cause the effect that you
describe.

The details are that there is a proc value, sync_threshold which can
be set to between 0 and 49 with a default of 3. Once a connection has
received this many packets it will be queued for synchronisation. It will
then be re-synchronised every 50 packets.