Re: [lvs-users] load balancing queries to localhost:port?

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] load balancing queries to localhost:port?
Cc: John Lash <jlash@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 22:03:50 +0200
On 19.09.2010 18:50, John Lash wrote:
> Take a look at this link and see if it help. I found it to be pretty useful.
>
> http://www.austintek.com/LVS/LVS-HOWTO/HOWTO/LVS-HOWTO.localnode.html

Anyway, I think this is not what I'm trying to do.

It all assumes remote clients connecting to the LVS setup.

Here, I want to have local clients connecting to the same address (either
localhost, or in LAN), and need load balancing.

For example, I have this two-server setup:

director/realserver_2    director/realserver_1
        |                        |
  client software          client software
        |                        |
   address:port             address:port

Client software on any of the servers should always connect to the same
address:port.
It can be i.e. localhost:1111, or some "LAN" address, like 10.0.0.10:1111.

Then, balancer running on both of these servers should distribute these queries
to both servers.

In theory, I could configure a balancer.example.com DNS entry, which would
point to two IP addresses, but with this approach, 50% of the queries fail if
on of the servers fail.

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org