LVS
lvs-devel

Re: Adding SNAT support to LVS/NAT

To: Julius Volz <juliusv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Adding SNAT support to LVS/NAT
Cc: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>, lvs-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, j.stubbs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 01:56:31 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, Julius Volz wrote:

> > Thanks for the info! Right, I even said myself in the previous reply
> > that ip_vs_postrouting() stops further processing in the POSTROUTING
> > chain, so it never reaches netfilter NAT code.
>
> Actually, what if we modify or remove that function to allow further
> processing in POSTROUTING? Could SNAT work with IPVS then?
>
> The comment above it says that the function specifically wants to
> avoid further NAT by netfilter. But is this always a problem?

        This check (now flag ipvs_property) was implemented to avoid
netfilter to modify packet which was already changed by IPVS.
What happened was that FTP commands (TCP header and payload) were
modified first by ip_vs_ftp and then by netfilter. The result:
packet with wrong SEQ number. Later, after some Netfilter
changes (2.6.11), TCP payload was modified always in POST_ROUTING
while address can be  modified in PRE_ROUTING. Not sure what happens
now, Netfilter code was reorganized and new code review and tests
are needed, may be such double manipulation (if ipvs_property is
not set) still can cause problems.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>