Apologies

To: wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Apologies
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx, cstaff@xxxxxxx, staff@xxxxxxx, jstaff@xxxxxxxxx
From: Cliff Miller <cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 06:44:20 +0900
Dear Wensong,

I must apologize to you and the other developers of the Linux Virtual
Server project for PHT's neglecting to mention the Linux Virtual
Server project in our press releases and product literature thus
far. This sloppy oversight on our part came about primarily because of
tight deadlines and a lack of communication between myself and other
people within PHT.  It is my responsibility -- please accept my
sincere apologies.  We will be sure to give credit to the Linux
Virtual Server work in all of our future press releases and other
materials.

Here, I would like to describe some technical details of what we have
done and talk about our open source policy. Turbo Linux Cluster Web
Server (TL Cluster) consists of three major parts: kernel code,
management tools, and a turbod daemon.

I believe that we have been collaborating with you and your group for
a while.  Peter Kese, a regular poster to the virtual server mailing
list, is a member of our team.  All additions to the code have been
reported back and are no special proprietary additions to the kernel
code. We are committed to following the GPL licencing and open source
model for the kernel code.

The management tools for TL Cluster are used to configure and manage
the clustering servers and router. They will be open source/GPL,
following standard Pacific HiTech practice for tools such as our other
configuration tools for the TurboLinux desktop and system
administration.

The turbod daemon is responsible for making the router fault-tolerant,
so the router machine can have stand-by backup machines, which are
activated if the router machine fails. We are still considering what
type of license to attach to this code, but will most definitely open
it up, although perhaps in a slightly delayed manner.  (Ghostscript
has a license somewhat similar to this.) In any case, the API
interface to the turbod daemon will be made public upon release of the
program.

Besides this, I would like to mention that PHT would like to provide
resources to the Virtual Server Project group if there is a need.
We could host a site, provide mirroring, perhaps offer some test-bed,
and other things.  Please let me know.

Finally, please take this email as an attempt to correct our mistake
and to make our relationship better. I really hope that we can do some
things together and that PHT will be able to offer something to the
project that you have started.

Cliff

=============
Cliff Miller
Pacific HiTech, Home of TurboLinux
cliff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

[Craig would you please have Justin put the following passage up on
our web site ASAP.

Kazuhiro$B!"2<5-$NJ8=q$rLu$7$F!"(Bwww.pht.co.jp$B$N(BTurboLinux Cluster Web
Server $B$N%j%j!<%9$N$H$3$m$K:\$;$F2<$5$$!#(B]

We would like to acknowledge the work that has gone into the Linux
Vitural Server project (http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ippfvs) by
several members of the open source community, particularly Wensong
Zhang.  Although the PHT clustering product originally started out
along a rather different development path, our ideas began to converge
upon a solution very similar to the Linux Virtural Server. We have
made use of the fine kernel patch by Wensong and have added some
functionality to it.  We have also implemented a number of the ideas
on his web pages. Thank you, Wensong!