The VS patch for kernel 2.2

To: Peter Ke{e <peter.kese@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: The VS patch for kernel 2.2
Cc: Peter Kese <peter.kese@xxxxxx>, Matthew Kellett <matthewk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 13:43:13 +0800
Hi Peter,

I did read your VS patch for kernel 2.2 a week ago.

There are three things in his patch that don't make me feel good.
I think I have to talk to you directly.

    1. You just mentioned that the VS patch for kernel 2.2 is
heavily based on wensong's VS patch for kernel 2.0, it is not
enough, and it seems that you are the only author. Although
you changed many variable names and some data structure
for kernel 2.2 and merge Matthew's loadable load-balancing
module, the control flow and request techniques is the same
as the original one, and you shouldn't strip off my original
license and should mention Matthew's contribution.
For example, the original networking code is ported from
FreeBSD networking code, some were rewritten in the kernel
2.0, and networking code of kernel 2.2 is completely rewritten,
but the FreeBSD networking code license still remains in the
kernel 2.2 code. So does IP Firewalling code and IP tunneling
code and so on, Rusty doesn't strip off the original authors
because his ipchain code is used for firewalling in 2.2, Alexy
completely rewritten ipip.c in 2.2 but the original author is
still the author. The kind of examples is uncountable.

    2. You changed the named of ippfvsadm.c to ipvsadm.c and
insert the loadable load-balancing option (which I guess is based
on Matthew's change for ippfvsadm.c). However, you striped all
the original license off, the ipvsadm.c remains without any
information about authors and licenses. It's not only a good
programming habit, but violates the GPL.

    3. You didn't port many functions of the original patch to kernel
2.2 without any discussion in the mailing list or with me. So the
VS patches for kernel 2.0 and for kernel 2.2 are not unified. This
is not what I want to see. I am worrying that lack of communication
will split the future development of Linux Virtual Server.

I look forward to your answer.

By the way, do you know PHT's announcement about their
TurboLinux cluster in the c.o.l.a. newsgroup, freshmeat.net
and linuxtoday.com sites?  They didn't mention any information
that they use the LVS code in the TurboLinux Cluster at their site.
    http://community.turbolinux.com/cluster/
They didn't show any respect to the works of others. It is a
kind of bad behavior that a good man will never do.

As for the contributor list that I said I would do in the early May
but didn't get time, I now write a draft of the contributor list
in alphabetical order.
    Matthew Kellett <matthewk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Added the loadable load-balancing module to VS-0.5 patch.

    Peter Kese <peter.kese@xxxxxx>
    Suggested the idea of the local-node feature and provided a
    local-node prototype patch for VS via tunneling.
    Ported the VS patch to kernel 2.2 and merged the
    loadable load-balancing module into the patch.

    Rob Thomas <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
    Wrote the the Greased Turkey document about how to setup
    a load-sharing server (a little bit stale, though)

    Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Chief cook and bottle washer. (I don't know whether it is fit for
me.)

Please comment it.

Wensong