Re: hard wired solution to arp problem

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: hard wired solution to arp problem
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 16:25:18 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 24 Nov 1999, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> > New solution: hard wire the MAC address of the VIP on the director
> > into the router's arp table. In my case I don't have a router, and
> > my client connects directly to the director. I have a file /etc/ethers
> > with the entry
>
>       This is a good solution but for configurations with one standalone
> LVS box.

yes - I realise that this won't work with heartbeat/failover of multiple
directors (I haven't thought of a solution anyhow).

To support other LVS boxes which can take control when the main
> LVS box is down You have to change /etc/ethers each time in the router and
> in the all possible hosts on the LAN which can talk to VIP.

yes another problem I hadn't thought about (I think of LVS's as being on
the internet and no-one in the LAN, and I forget about this case). I guess
the machines on the LAN will have to timeout. Haven't thought about it.

For real
> servers without this feature (arp_invisible), i.e. non-Linux boxes, which
> always reply to "who-has VIP tell ME" may be this is the only solution -

For non-linux boxes, you don't have to have lo:0 on the realserver
anymore. Any arp'ing ethernet device is OK for the VIP.

> to feed all routers and other hosts on the LAN with permanent ARP entries
> and to change them when the current LVS box is changed. Not so easy :)

agree

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx