Re: Problems with persistent client connection

To: jacob.rief@xxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problems with persistent client connection
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 1999 00:29:20 +0800
jacob.rief@xxxxxx wrote:

> Unfortunately I have the same problem as Andres (see below)
> If I remove a real server from a list of persistent
> virtual servers, this connection never times out. Not even
> after the specified timeout has been reached. Only if I unset

The persistent template won't timeout until all its connections
timeout. After all the connections from the same client connection
expires, new connections can be assigned to one of the remaining
servers. You can use "ipchains -M -L -n" to check the connection
table.

> persisency the connection will be redirected onto the remaining
> real servers. Now if I turn on persistency again, a prevoiusly
> attached client does not reconnect anymore - it seems as
> if LVS remembers such clients. It does not even help, if I delete
> the whole virtual service and restore it immediately, in the
> hope to clear the persistency tables.
> (ipvsadm -D -t <VIP>; ipvsadm -A -t <VIP> -p; ipvsadm -a -t <VIP> -R <alive
>  real server>)
> And it also does not help closing the browser and restarting it.
> I run LVS in masquerading mode on a 2.2.13-kernel patched
> with ipvs-0.9.5.
> Would'nt it be a nice feature to flush the persistent client
> connection table, and/or list all such connections?

There are several reasons that I didn't do it in the current code. One
is that it is time-consuming to search a big table (maybe one million
entries) to flush the connections destined for the dead server; the
other is that the template won't expire until its connection expire,
the client will be assigned to the same server as long as there is a
connection not expired. Anyway, I will think about better way to solve
this problem.

Thanks,

Wensong