Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lars@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS Benchmarking
Cc: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2000 13:51:04 +0200 (EET)
        Hi Lars, Horms,

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 2000-01-12T13:01:37,
>    Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>
> >     eth1/rp_filter=1 when all/rp_filter=1 is very good reason that the
> > packets are not forwarded. The source validation works by checking the
> > source address and the input interface (eth1 in your case). So, for the
> > test please set */rp_filter=0 or at least eth1/rp_filter=0, i.e. by this
> > way we allow packets with saddr=VIP to be forwarded to another device
> > based on your routing table (eth2).
>
> rp_filter does not control the "drop packets with a src address which is also
> a local interface" IIRC.

        In fact, the documentation in
Documentation/networking/ip-sysctl.txt is correct:

        1 - (DEFAULT) Weaker form of RP filtering: drop all the packets
            that look as sourced at a directly connected interface, but
            were input from another interface.

        I.e. "drop all the packets that look as sourced at a directly
connected interface (eth2), but were input from another interface (eth1).
Is it correct ?

        So, if eth1/rp_filter=1 when all/rp_filter=1 this restriction
works, i.e. all packets coming from eth1 with saddr=VIP (eth2 is
configured with VIP) are dropped. Right?

        To forward these packets with saddr=VIP we have to set
eth1/rp_filter=0. By this way such packets will be forwarded correctly
through any other interface (eth2). Right?

        Sorry that I can't test it.

        So, Horms, what are the values in all/rp_filter and eth1/rp_filter
when you are testing. What shows tcpdump. Are you sure that there are no
ARP requests "who has MYROUTER tell VIP" ? You can try to delete the ARP
entry before testing:

RealServer# while true; do arp -d MYROUTER ; sleep 1 ; done

Regards,

Julian Anastasov