Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS Benchmarking
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 23:00:56 -0800
On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 08:23:29AM +0200, Julian Anastasov wrote:
> > Unfortunately it doesn't seem to have helped. The VIP is an IP alias,
> > I have tried putting this on both eth1 (server side interface)
> > and eth2 (client side interface). Looking at tcp dumps the
> > return packet is seen by the IPVS box on the server side
> > but not forwarded to the clients side, so the assumption that
> > the packet is being dropped for some reason appears to be correct.
>
>       It is very strange. The next thing you can test:
>
> - all/rp_filter=1, eth1/rp_filter=0, eth2/rp_filter=1 - this is for your
> security only. For the test you can set */rp_filter=0

I have */rp_filter=1.

(Security is no problem, this machine is on a private network)

> - Is there route for 192.168.2.0/24 in Node-2 (IPVS) through eth2 ?

Yes, 192.168.2.0/24 sits on eth1 .

The works fine as a router between 192.168.2.0 and 192.168.1.0
as long as IPVS isn't turned on. I've been using it
as a router with IPVS machines on the 192.168.1.0 network.

> - Can you try with request routed through client net but coming from
> outside the client net, i.e. from the world? Can Node-2 access the world?

I have been testing from a client other than node-2. Node to can
access the world, via a masquerade.

Here is the net config.

                     Internet

                      node-1 (client)

                  ------+-----------  192.168.2.0/24   (client network)

                      node-2 (IPVS)

     --+----------+-----+----+-----------+----  192.168.1.0/24
       |          |          |           |            (server network)
    node-3      node-4      node-5     node-6
  (not used)  (not used)A   (apache)   (apache)

> - Are the Node-4 and Node-5 Linux 2.2 boxes? What kernel version? What LVS
> version? Are they ARP patched? For 2.2.14 you can use:

All the machines are redhat 6.1. The clients and end servers are running
2.2.13, the router and other IPVS boxes (not applicable for this test)
are running 2.2.14.

I am running transparent proxying on the end servers to get around
the ARP problem. This is working fine when the IPVS macine is
on the server network as follows;

                     Internet

                      node-1 (client)

                  ------+-----------  192.168.2.0/24   (client network)

                      node-2 (router)

       |          |          |           |            (server network)
    node-3      node-4      node-5     node-6
    (IPVS)  (standby IPVS)  (apache)   (apache)

--
Horms