Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: IPVS Benchmarking
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 01:18:41 +0800 (CST)

On Sat, 15 Jan 2000, Horms wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 11:45:03PM +0800, Wensong Zhang wrote:
> > Hi Horms,
> >
> > I don't know if your node-3 is a linux box with two ee1000 cards or
> > gigabit switcher/router. If your node-3 is a Linux box, I think that
> > the above network topology is good for benchmarking LVS/NAT and the
> > node-3 take the IPVS job. because ee1000 cards on Linux has
> > performance issues.
> >
> > For LVS/DR or LVS/TUN, you might change your network topology like
> >
> >        node-1      node-6     node-7
> >        (client)   (client)   (client)
> >            |         |          |              gigabit network
> >   ---------+---------+----------+---------+--  192.168.1.0/24
> >            |         |          |         |
> >          node-2    node-3     node-4    node-5
> >          (IPVS)   (server)   (server)  (server)
> >
> > All the clients and servers are in the same network. Then, the maximum
> > throught 185Mbits/s/node won't affect benchmarking the maximum
> > throughput of the whole server cluster earlier.
>
> I have tested a topology like that with 100Mbit cards and
> the effective throughput for n clients and n servers
> was n*100Mbit, as ICMP redirects were issued by the IPVS box.
> While this is great for wow number it doesn't really show
> much because clients generally aren't going to be on
> the same LAN as servers.

Well, for a really big site, the LVS cluster can work as similar to the
above topology. The IPVS has an external interface/address to accept
incoming packets, and forwards packets to real servers through a private
and uninterrupted LAN. The real servers have their own Internet links to
the clients. For example, the node 3 and 4 can share a T3 link, the node 5
and 6 can share another T3 link, so the response packets can go through
different links. The performance will be the same as above. :-)

Thanks,

Wensong