Re: [lvs-users] Re: IPVS Benchmarking

To: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Re: IPVS Benchmarking
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 14:58:21 +0200 (EET)
        Hi Joe,

On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Joseph Mack wrote:

> >     What means throughput 120 Mbps for the real servers in the table?
> > Is the limit 100Mbps for the NICs? Input+Output in Full-Duplex ? I don't
> > understand something in this table. You report that the throughput from
> > the client to the real server (directly?) is 50Mbps. If the size of the
> > request = size of the answer, the max throughput can be 50Mbps (reported
> > in the real server, half-duplex).
>
> Yes this is a puzzle and I don't understand it myself. The connection
> client-director is 70Mbps by netpipe for a single netpipe run. I assume
> that means 70Mbps in each direction and that the total bit rate is
> 140Mbps. I assume that the cards are all limited to 100Mbps by all having
> to use the same clock speed so that they can talk to each other. I can
> imagine that some cards might have slower average throughput because of
> buffer filling etc, but it's hard to imagine a situation where the speed
> would go above 100Mbps. I don't understand then why the client then can
> register a total of 120Mbps on netpipe (6 windows each registering
> 20Mbps). I should do the same test connecting the client directly to the
> director running 6 netpipe sessions.

        I have never tried this program. May be the input+output
throughput is reported (application data).

> Do you know if a 100Mpbs NIC is supposed to be able to receive at 100Mbps
> at the same time as it is sending 100Mpbs? Does an 8-port switch have 4
> pairs of connections in both directions at 100Mbps (total 800Mpbs) or only
> 4 connections with each connection being in 1 direction (total 400Mbps)?

        I know that usually the default setting for the cards is
"autoselect" but if the autonegotiation is not possible it can be forced
via module option. You can check your driver for more info and to inspect
the driver output with dmesg.

        When using full duplex LAN switch the collisions are not detected
from the card and theoretically it is possible to be achieved 2x100Mbps
per each connected to the switch card: 100Mbps in and 100Mbps out. From
the results I assume that your cards are in full duplex mode, i.e. 120Mbps
input+output. What speed shows a ftp transfer on idle machines: ~11MB/s ?
Get the result from the second test, i.e. we want the transferred file to
be in the cache. The 3th test can be ftp in both directions to test the
full duplex speed between two hosts. For example my ftp on one direction
only shows 11.6MB/sec. Not tested in both directions.

Regards,

Julian Anastasov