Fault tolerant database servers?

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fault tolerant database servers?
From: "Peter Koch" <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:10:40 +1100
Hi,

I'm pretty new to this group, and am currently experimenting with moving to a
linux
high availability cluster. Fault tolerance is essential, so I'm using a fake
linux load
balancer, but I also need to make sure the database server is fault tolerant
also.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to how they are achieving database access
from the cluster, are you using a dedicated database server, or does each
server in
the cluster have their own local database cache that is kept synchronised with
distributed transactions. If you are using a dedicated database server(s) what
is the
impact to the cluster since now local updates need to be done over the network.

Thanks for any help,
Peter