Re: [lvs-users] recreating inktomi's architecture

To: Ron King <rking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] recreating inktomi's architecture
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2000 19:41:08 +0000 (GMT)
Some random thoughts:

Looking through a copy of the paper via
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~acha/courses/99/290i/papers.html

it looks like the database content is spread based on server capacity
across the boxes. From the hints given it looks like you could build
something similar by doing this:

  * Take a database say 1Tb in size.
  * Randomly distribute this content over N servers, each with
    varying capacity perhaps, once.

When doing a search, using wlc based balancing to pick a single server at
random. Then perform the search.

This will return X results. You know that server has a certain capacity
relative to the total capacity - ie 1/Yth. Therefore the number of pages
in the database could be approximately X * Y. (Which would explain why
some search engines return "of approximately X results")

[ This approach of searching etc makes alot of sense given the background
  to the system appears to be harvest derived originally. (The comments
  they make about treating machines as storage of non-vital info fits in
  very similarly to our model of cached info.) ]

If that fails, the request can be passed onto the next server...

*If* Inktomi have a patent on this idea though (which follows naturally
from the architecture description), and I wouldn't be suprised if they
did, to replicate their architecture without paying them a fee could be
dodgy. And given Inktomi power quite a few of the major search engines, I
wouldn't be suprised if they do have a patent on this.

If they don't then replicating the architecture using LVS looks simple on
the surface, but with probably many gotchas!

Michael.
--
National & Local Web Cache Support        R: G117
Manchester Computing                      T: 0161 275 7195