A way to monitor real servers : PCP

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: A way to monitor real servers : PCP
From: Jean-francois Nadeau <jf.nadeau@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 23:46:15 -0500
Hi !

I am setting up a cluster of a few Web servers running Linux and Apache.  My first goal is to garantee response time of the real servers.

I think we could use PCP (Performance Co-Pilot) from SGI now being free and open sources for Linux.

My setup :

The PCP daemon runs on all real server.
The PCP client and inference engine (pcpie) runs on the redirector and polls the PCP daemon on all real servers for performance data.

I extract this way the number of active sockets of each real server and take action directly on the redirector if the number gets too high.

PCP can extract and format anything from /proc into something usefull and accessible from the redirector.

Anyone has tried this tool yet ?

Check on SGI Open source division site to get it.

I'd like to get some feedback.

JNA