Re: lvs bottlekneck

To: Nicolas Huillard <nhuillard@xxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: lvs bottlekneck
From: Drew Streib <ds@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:49:19 -0700
On Fri, May 12, 2000 at 08:37:33PM +0200, Nicolas Huillard wrote:
> Can you define what is a "fast Intel box", on your point of view ?
> PIII 500, 64MB, IDE disks, 100Mbps NIC ?
> What is the bottleneck in such a config : CPU, memory, type of NIC ?
>
> Nicolas Huillard

Horms can comment on this better than I can.

Basically, it should be totally CPU and Network Card/Driver Limited.

There is no reason to be I/O Limited. An LVS director can probably
mount the root filesystem from a floppy and not take a significant
performance hit. IDE disk is fine.

RAM only needs to be high enough to ensure that there isn't any disk
I/O. 32MB is probably enough, but I don't generally build servers with
less than 128MB RAM.

The cost of a PIII-500 is very cheap nowadays. This CPU should be able
to *more* than saturate 100Mbps. When I perform stricter benchmarks,
I'm going to see if a second CPU gives you more performance towards the
gigabit range (threaded TCP stack might allow this).

Your bottleneck is more than likely going to be your network bandwidth,
or your network card and driver. I've pushed 93.8Mbit through an
EEPro/100 using <10% CPU on a single PII-500, and no lvs slowdown vs.
accessing each box individually. (Did this via NAT and DR)

I'll be playing with NistNet in the near future to see how varying
network conditions (dropped packets, timed out connections, lag, etc)
affect LVS performance, but we NAT about 50Mbits of avg throughput
through a single 350Mhz CPU at SourceForge.net (real world traffic,
not lab benchmark), and the LVS director box hardly shows anything
beyond idle.

-drew

--
-------