RE: lvs bottlekneck

To: Dan <dan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: lvs bottlekneck
Cc: "''Drew Streib ' '" <ds@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "''Cono D'Elia ' '" <conod@xxxxxxxx>, "''lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ' '" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 09:19:31 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Fri, 12 May 2000, Dan wrote:

>  Hi Julian:
>
> The proxy server works thus:
>
> Inbound Connection from External Client to Director Port 8888
> Director creates an LVS masquerading entry for one of n real servers (also
> on port 8888)

        But in table without limits!!!

> The client requests http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ (for example)
> The nth real server connects to www.linuxvirtualserver.org port 80 (for
> which the linux kernel creates a real masquerading entry). This is the
> essence of a proxy.
>
> And thus, for each lvs masq entry there is a potential real masq entry.

        But you can create only 4096 entries to www.linuxvirtualserver.org,
other 4096 to www.domain1.com, other 4096 to www.domain2.com. See,
you have limit while talking to a specific service. So, if you create
4096 entries to 10 external servers you reach the max limit of the
entries: 40960. In normal situations the 4096 entries per external service
is not reached. This is possible only when all your real servers
try to connect to www.linuxvirtualserver.org! Or with a big rate
because the entry expires after some period. May be the problem
is the FIN-WAIT timeout. You can reduce it.

> >     Don't talk so easy for the MASQ limits :) There are
> > users with more than 4096 entries.
>
> Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here...

        Why /proc/net/ip_masquerade reports 40960 entries for each
protocol as a limit but your limit is 4096. What is your
interpretation? My interpretation is: if only 4096 masquerade
ports are public we can have up to 4096 connections from one remote client
(addr:port) to the masq box. Because we can't have more than one
connection from one addr:port to other addr:port. In your case
the remote end is server and the limit is reached for the TCP
protocol. So, I think, your MASQ box created 4096 connections to
some remote server, with source port 61000.65095.

        Is that correct? Or you can't play with your setup to
investigate the problem.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>