Re: round robin and NOT!! persistent

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: round robin and NOT!! persistent
Cc: "Thomas A. Morris" <morrist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, linuxvirtualserver <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 01:03:07 +0800 (CST)

On Thu, 22 Jun 2000, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> > I'm investiagating a possible workaround. Would it be possible to use
> > protocol 0
> > as a "special" protocol, in much the same way port 0 is a special port,,
> > meaning
> > all protocols are persistent? ipvsadm would have to change to allow this to
> > be
> > specified with the -f option.  Comments?
>
>       I wait for comments too :) No other workarounds to combine
> UDP and TCP.

No, no other methods to work around in current implementation, because I
haven't thought to combine UDP and TCP for persitent service before. :)

>       There was a propsal to add some options to the
> fwmark services, for example, the protocol wildards. Even the
> solution looked well defined but a bit complex:
>
> -f 1 -t tcp
> -f 2 -t udp
> -f 3          wildcard protocol
>
>       We decided not to change the current fwmark semantic. But I think,
> we can easily break the template definitions by using a const protocol
> value. This will be the easiest change without touching the user space.

For fwmark-based virtual service, I don't want to touch the user space
program, it is good to use a const protocol value, then the TCP and UDP
service can be combiled together as persistent service. The template for
fwmark-based service can be as follows:
        IPPROTO_IP, <cip, 0, vip, 0, rip, 0>
It is a superset. Users can use the ipchains to specified whether the
fwmark-based service is tcp/udp, or both. So, there is no need to touch
the ipvsadm.c progarm.

Thanks,

Wensong