Initial load slow, after that snappy

To: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Initial load slow, after that snappy
From: "Peter C. Nikolaidis" <pcnlist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 16:02:15 -0400
Hi,

    I have a 0.4.12 (soon to be upgraded to 0.4.16, but the last time I
upgraded my kernel I hosed the whole system so I've been putting that off
until probably tomorrow) on Redhat 6.2, with three Win2k IIS machines being
distributed.

    For some reason, when you hit the first page
(http://toaster.meansbusiness.com/toaster, if you're interested), behavior
varies.  Sometimes everything loads normally (on my Mac running IE 5).
Sometimes you get nothing (it just hangs out), and sometimes you get a
partial load (the home page HTML and one of two images loads).

    I suspected that there was a problem with one of the real servers, so I
systematically hit them, one at a time, using their individual IP addresses
and bypassing the load balancer - worked like a charm.  I then removed each
real server from my lvs.cf file one by one - only the third in the list
worked, and the other two would simply hang when I tried to access them
through the lvs.

    The odd part is that now, if you hit the first page, whether you get
broken links on images, or whatever, if you hit refresh a few times,
eventually you get a login prompt (which is supposed to happen) and can
login to the server.  After that, everything works like a charm, so it
appears to be some kind of initial connection issue that eventually gets
resolved, but I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this or find out why it's
happening.  Also, when firing up the piranha interface, I receive an error
stating that "ipvsadm -l terminated abnormally."  Not sure what to do about
that one, as it appears to work normally from the command prompt.

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and my lvs.cf file follows
if you're interested.

Thank you,

Peter

primary = 209.198.101.184