Re: load balancing and redundant directors

To: Chris Anderson <chris.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: load balancing and redundant directors
Cc: LVS <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, HA <linux-ha@xxxxxx>
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 00:25:52 -0700
On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 05:29:26PM +1000, Chris Anderson wrote:
> I may be barking up the wrong tree here, but I would like to set up a
> redundant web server thathandles its own load balancing.
>
> I have two PCs, each running heartbeat and with the LVS kernel patches
> applied. Is it possible to configure these so that they act as realservers
> as well as being a redundant director?

Yes this is possible.

In terms of Ultra Monkey

You would set up a pair of LVS hosts, with ldirectord running on each host
monitoring itself and the other host. You would also run heartbeat
between the two hosts.

Heartbeat would ensure that exactly one host had the virtual ip
address at any time, ldirectord and LVS would take care of load
balancing traffic between the currently active LVS host
and the other host - if it is available.

--
Horms