Re: IPVS v0.0.3 for kernel 2.4

To: Greg Cope <gjjc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: IPVS v0.0.3 for kernel 2.4
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 17:19:24 -0700
On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 11:23:50AM +0000, Greg Cope wrote:
> Not quite - What I'm after is a loadballancer that looks at the
> application layers domain name and routes on that eg:
>
> www.foo.com = ip 555.555.555.555
> www.bar.com = ip 555.555.555.555
>
> loadballancer = ip 555.555.555.555 (i.e accepts trafic for www.foo.com
> and www.bar.com)
>
> webserver 1 = ip 192.168.0.10
> webserver 2 = ip 192.168.0.11
> webserver 3 = ip 192.168.0.12
> webserver 4 = ip 192.168.0.14
> webserver 5 = ip 192.168.0.15
>
> Now I want to route www.foo.com to webservers 1 and 2, but www.bar.com
> to webservers 3 and 4, and have trafic go to webserver 5 if others are
> buzy / down.

What you describe is layer 7 switching - in this case switching
at the HTTP protocol layer. The LVS kernel patches do layer 4
switching - that is swiching at the IP protocol layer.

Wensong was working on some code a while back to do layer
7 switching but I don't think any progress has been made on this
recently. Certainly it is code that needs to be written as
there seems to be a fair amount of interest in layer 7 switching.

Wensong: I'm curious to know if you have made any progress on your
code lateley :)

--
Horms