Re: Redhat HA Download?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Redhat HA Download?
From: Keith Barrett <kbarrett@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 20:03:55 -0400
Jon Oringer wrote:

> I may be going out on a limb here.. but if I was a contributing author to
> the HA source tree (which once I get some time, I plan to be), I would want
> a stipulation included that would force RedHat to allow free downloads of
> the iso with the HA patches included.

You are on a limb.

As I pointed out, this is not a new situation. You cannot download
an ISO of Linux 6.2.16-2. Show me the ISO download file for the 'Enterprise
Edition Linux' or the 'Secure Web Server' product...

You also could not contribute with tighter restrictions than the GPL
already provides and still be guarenteed inclusion in the product. Suppose
the product included commercial software not under GPL (which it could) --
then there wouldn't even be source files posted for those items!

> I don't need support from RedHat -- and I do plan on installing the HA
> software myself..

And you can do that -- pretty easily in fact. No information or source
file has been withheld.

> But when you create something based on open source software, you should be
> releasing all of
> it for free download..  even the iso of the install cd.

If I posted an ISO of the source CD, that would not satisfy you. You
want an ISO of the binary CD, which no one is under any obligation
to provide, and many don't. In fact, you could even pull all of the
binary RPMs and still be compliant with the GPL.

I do not see then need to post a 600meg file for a product that has
only 6meg (1%) of contained differences. Red Hat has never posted ISOs for
all it's Linux product variants and I think that the information
I provide for creating the HA product far exceeds information available
on all the others.

There is nothing preventing you from posting your own ISO copy of the product
CD if you want to waste the space and bandwidth.

--

Keith Barrett
Red Hat Inc. HA Team