Re: Is RR scheduler really fair?

To: Tim Wu <chtimwu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Is RR scheduler really fair?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 10:45:44 -0400
Tim Wu wrote:

> The result is that the server with a bit higher load at initial time will
> get
> more and more loaded.
>
> Any one have the same experience?

If what you've said is correct, this is the same problem that buses have
and millions of us experience every day.

Assumptions:
1. Buses are dispatched from terminals at predetermined times, and pick up
and drop off passengers as they go along their route.

2. Passengers arrive at bus stops at non-uniform rate.

Result: Any bus arriving at a stop with a large number of passengers boarding
or leaving, will be delayed allowing more passengers to arrive at the next stop.
This bus is then further delayed.

Outcome: For a sufficiently long route, one bus will be full with the others
following
immediately behind, empty. The solution for the number of riders/bus is
unstable.

(This used to happen to me at high school every afternoon. If I managed to burst
out the door at closing I could just make the early bus, which also picked up
kids from schools further down the route. These next kids delayed
the early bus. The bus which left 20mins later, arrived at the end of the line,
at the train station, at the same time as the early bus. So either I left early,
had a crowded 50min trip in a bus, or left late and had a 30min ride in an empty
bus,
arriving at the same time.)