Re: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...

To: Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ideas about kernel masq table syncing ...
Cc: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 12:29:03 -0700
On 2000-08-09T03:11:06,
   Ratz <ratz@xxxxxx> said:

> somebody really has to write to code and test it :)
> I mean, a lot of commercial loadbalancing products
> use f.e. the parallel port as a syncing device.

However, using already existing networking code will reduce the time needed to
implement the feature and also increase the potential distance between the two
machines.

You could use the heartbeat network also for keeping the tables in sync. In
fact, you may even be able to use heartbeat's messaging layer to do that. You
may want to talk to Alan Robertson or the linux-ha-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing
list about that.

heartbeat would give you authentication and reliable communication.

> Somehow I still don't like the idea of having more
> then 2 potential directors.

However, if you have a farm of webservers, and one of them is acting as a
LVS/DR on the same LAN, basically all of them could potentially take over. So
we should engineer the code to allow for this.

> a setup. I mean if you have 4 directors and only
> one is actively handling the request and the others
> are waiting for a failover, this is rather expensive.

Agreed.

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée <lmb@xxxxxxx>
    Development HA

--
Perfection is our goal, excellence will be tolerated. -- J. Yahl