Need help setting up a LVS with NT real servers

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Need help setting up a LVS with NT real servers
From: Jules Herr <julesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 12:57:10 -0400
Hi,

I've been trying to set up my virtual server using piranha on redhat 6.2.
Here's what it looks like

--------------Internal network (10.4.20.0/255.255.255.0)---------

                     |    Linux Virtual Server         |
                     |           active router            |
                     |    eth0   =10.4.20.200         |
                     |    eth0:1=10.4.20.220         |
                     |    eth0:2=10.4.20.222         |
                     |    eth1  =192.168.1.1          |
                     |    eth1:1=192.168.1.254      |
                     |       (NAT Router)               |

--------------Server network (192.168.1.0/255.255.255.0)---------

--------------------------------
| Real Server 1
| NT4.0 Server
| 192.168.1.3
| Default gateway:
|  192.168.1.254
--------------------------------

At the moment I'm only trying to get the lvs going with one router and only one real server. I plan on adding more servers once I've made contact.

I'm trying to use the virtual server to imitate a cisco local director by using NAT and IP masquerading. Has anyone had success here?

I've set up the router with two NICs with two virtual IP's on eth0 (the general network), and with one virtual ip on eth1 (the server network). Its my understanding that the virtual ip on the server network (192.168.1.254) will be the address used for routing packets from the server network back out to the general network.

I've enabled packet forwarding and packet defragmenting.

I've set up the IP chains :
        ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0

I've set the default gateway on the real server to 192.168.1.254 .

I've loaded piranha and set up the following:
        Primary LVS Server IP: 10.4.20.220
        NAT Router IP: 192.168.1.254
        NAT Router Device: eth1:1
        Virtual Server VS1:
                address: 10.4.20.200, HTTP on port 80
                Real Server rs1:
                        address: 192.168.1.3

It doesn't work and I don't know why, Do I need to set up any routes manually?
I can see and access both networks properly from the router, however it seems as if there's no routing actually occurring. I can't get into the server network from the general network and I can't ping anything in my general network from the real server machine.

Any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

jules
Jules Herr                                    Software & Hardware Engineer
KnowledgeXtensions                     www.knowledgextensions.com
(518)756-9684 x111                      julesh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Everyone learns differently, we're doing something about it