Re: question on benchmark

To: john chuang <yaoyuan_chuang@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question on benchmark
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:32:23 -0700 (PDT)
On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, john chuang wrote:

> Dear Joe,

this is a general question rather than anything specific to me,
so I'm putting it on the mailing list

> Thank you for your reply.  I guess my problem was "How
> to determine the Throughtput in the
> Client-Director-Real Server" case.

I am doing this.

> When I ran the NetPipe trasmitter (with -t -h VIP
> option) on my client and the NetPipe receiver (with -r
> option) on my LVS-DR real servers.  It

it being the netpipe client?

seems to
> complain about not able to open a connection.

have you added netpipe to the services that the director is forwarding?
(ie does the output of ipvsadm show netpipe?)

  Which
> is kind of correct in a LVS-DR setup due to the return
> traffic comes from the real server itself.

all the client knows is that it sent a packet to the netpipe port on the
VIP and got a reply from the netpipe port on the VIP. the client can't
tell how many machines are required to do this.

If I add
> another NetPipe receiver on the LVS director, it might
> be measuring the Throughput between the
> Clinet-Director
> instead of Client-Director-Real Server.

the director has none of the LVS'ed services running. It's only acting as
a router

Joe