Re: (drbd) Re: Many thanks for help! One last question ;-)

To: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: (drbd) Re: Many thanks for help! One last question ;-)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: thomas.hoelsken@xxxxxx
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2000 10:08:16 +0100

Hi,

I think the drbd would not help, because it can only synchronize from a master
to slave in one direction, as I understand the author. In my example, there are
two FTP-server which are working load balanced. Every access from the public
network will be directed at one time to FTP-server-no.1, a few second later to
FTP-server-no.2 (for example). So my two real servers have to synchronize
themself with each other!

Greetings,
Thomas Hoelsken

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          John Cronin  |
|        |          <jsc3@xxxxxxx|
|        |          tf.org>      |
|        |                       |
|        |          18.10.00     |
|        |          18:21        |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  |       An:     lmb@xxxxxxx (Lars Marowsky-Bree)                             |
  |       Kopie:  Thomas                                                       |
  |       Hölsken/Personal/VERWALTUNG/Neckermann_Reisen/DE@Neckermann_Reisen,  |
  |       lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx                                     |
  |       Thema:  Re: Many thanks for help! One last question ;-)              |

> On 2000-10-18T15:34:04,
>    thomas.hoelsken@xxxxxx said:
>
> > One last question: I have a configuration with 2 LVS routers and 2 FTP
servers
> > and want to synchronize the two FTP servers. Are there any tools for this
task?

> Besides rsync:
> http://www.globalfilesystem.org/
> http://www.inter-mezzo.org/

Does anybody have any experience using either of these?  Both seem
promising, and both seem better than Coda.  I looked at Coda for a
while but my opinion is that it is just not even close to being ready
for primetime.

Also, if only two systems are involved, some kind of network block device
could be used:

     http://www.complang.tuwien.ac.at/reisner/drbd/

The folks at Suse indicated to me they had the most success with this
one.

A network block device basically used a network connection (usually
a dedicated one - two NICs and a crossover cable is best) to synchronize
disks between the two systems.  It is sure a lot cheaper than a dual
attached RAID box or something.  It is also a lot simpler than GFS or
Intermezzo.

--
John Cronin