Re: Problems with FOS

To: ywteh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Teh Yong Wei)
Subject: Re: Problems with FOS
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 21:55:54 -0400 (EDT)
> > > 1) Why when I startup the pulse at backup node, it straight away
> become
> > > active and the primary node become inactive??
> > I don't know this one.  When you say backup node, are you talking
> about
> > a the realservers or the LVS directors?  (ie is gretel and gretelf
> different
> > from gretel3 and gretel4).
>
> Yes, the gretel is the director and the gretelf is the backup node. The
> gretel3 and gretel4 is the real servers.
>
> > > 3) Furthermore, it seems that the httpd on primary node is stopped.
> Why
> > > is this happen?
> >
> > Don't know.  I am not sure which of these is which - are we talking
> > directors or web servers.

If you are worried about httpd on the primary director, all that does is
let you into the piranha GUI.  The web servers should be running on the
real servers.

> U mentioned that set the configuration to lvs and not fos. Then, if the
> primary node, gretel fail, the backup node, gretelf will take over?
> confuse...

Yes.  The failover of directors is a separate issue from the
serving of content, which is done via LVS and the realservers.

There is a primary directory, and *optionally* a secondary
director.  Regardless of which one is active, the director
will do one thing: use LVS to balance the load sent to the
real servers.

If one of the real servers fails (regardless of which one),
when nanny running on the active director detects it, piranha should
take the failed web server out of the LVS routing tables (using ipvsadm),
if I understand things correctly.

If you want a straight failover setup, then get rid of the real servers
and just run the httpd on gretel and gretelf directly as a failover
service (fos).

If you want to do load balancing with two or more web servers, then
you *MUST* use two or more real servers, along with one or two directorss,
as an *lvs* service.

In other words, there can be only two servers, period, in a FOS setup.
Only gretel and gretelf, in your case.  If you want to use gretel, gretelf,
gretel3 and gretel4 it *HAS* to be an LVS setup.
--
John Cronin