Re: More on scheduling...

To: Benjamin Lee <Benjamin.Lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: More on scheduling...
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 00:43:55 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Benjamin Lee wrote:

> Hi again all,
>
> Just another scheduling question:
>
> (I know, looking through code would be good for me. ;-) I will, that's what
> Summer is for...)
>
> After the first SYN packet is directed to the appropriate real server, how
> does ipvs keep track of where to route the subsequent TCP packets?
> I assume it would be something very similar to the way normal NAT works.

        Yes but LVS uses different connection table optimized for
the client addresses.

> Is the implementation for this (routing) different in ipvs for kernels 2.2
> and 2.4 (netfilter) ?
> I would think that netfilter would take care of a large part of this.

        The LVS forwarding methods are same in 2.2 and 2.4. LVS uses
only the Netfilter framework, i.e. the hooks but nothing from the
connection tracking. Currently, you can't run LVS with ip_conntrack.o
but this is still possible with ipchains.o!

> Best regards to all,
> Ben

Regards

--