Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching

To: Thomas Proell <Thomas.Proell@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 22:32:05 +0800 (CST)

Hello,

I am awfully sorry that I had disappeared from the LVS mailing list for
such a long time. I had to take care of my own study, because my advisor
doesn't want me to postpone my graduation again. I have finished most
part of it and can be back to LVS development. :)

My brother forwarded Web Cache Coordination Protocol v1 and v2 to me
about three days ago, which employs 256-bucket hash to do
IP-destionation load balancing for cache clusters and use GRE to tunnel
requests to cache server. He suggested that I should write a scheduler
like the one in WCCP in LVS for cache cluster.

Since LVS tracks connections, connections for the same IP address can be
directed to different cache server. WCCP-enabled router cannot do this.
So, I thought an algorithm that aims for cache locality as well as cache
load balancing (availability too). It can be better than that in WCCP. I
called it locality-based (weighted) least connection scheduling
algorithm. The lblc algrithm is as follows (pseudo code):

        if cachenode[dest_ip] is null then
                n, cachenode[dest_ip] <- {weighted least-conn node};
        else
                n <- cachenode[dest_ip];
                if (n is dead) OR
                   (n.conns>n.weight AND
                    there is a node m with m.conns<m.weight/2) then
                  n, cachenode[dest_ip] <- {weighted least-conn node};

        return n;

Where cachenode is an assoicative array from destination IP address to
its cache node, it is usually implemented through hash table.

This algorithms usually direct packet destined for an IP address to its
cache node if it is alive and under load. If the cache node is
overloaded (its active connection numbers is larger than its weight) and
it exists a node in its half load, then allocate the weighted least-
connection node to this IP address.

I will write this lblc scheduler in the following days.

As for the one in WCCP and your consistent hashing scheduler, they may
have overloading problem, for example, requests for several big sites
(several destination IP addresses) may be directed to one cache node, it
can overload this cache node, while other cache nodes may stay idle.
Although the locality is improved in this situation, clients may
experience long response time.

As for the code of consistent hashing scheduler, it still needs some
tuning. Please don't be angry. :)

Thanks,

Wensong