Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching

To: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 08:48:08 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Joe Cooper wrote:

> Julian Anastasov wrote:
>
> While I haven't tried this (or Thomas' code), this leaves the question
> of weighting completely unanswered.  The hash based scheduler written by
> Thomas also doesn't have weighting...but it should be a relatively
> simple matter to add it.  I don't see that simple routing lends itself
> very well to the kind of flexibility that a hash based scheduler can.
> But I may be wrong.

        What weighting, we have constant mapping, i.e. packets to
one destination are always routed to specific proxy server. This is
covered by the rule "the traffic to one dest will be cached only in one
proxy server". No way for load balancing, no way for weights. Of course,
you can add the weight in the proxy server selection, i.e. something
like to support routes with different weights. But if you change the
weight you break the rule. For example, in my proposed setup you
can assign weights by marking the packets with more than one marker
going to one proxy, i.e.:

fwmark 1 -> squid1
fwmark 2 -> squid2
fwmark 3 -> squid3
fwmark 4 -> squid4
fwmark 5 -> squid1
fwmark 6 -> squid2
fwmark 7 -> squid1 *
fwmark 8 -> squid2 *

        But I agree, this is ugly.

        The problem in all these setups is that the above rule
breaks the load balancing. When one proxy server is replaced we
are going to fetch every request from the remote servers. We can't
have both load balancing and static mapping at the same time. If
you start to change the weights in LVS the content will be shared
in all proxy servers. This break your definition (the only advantage
when using the new scheduler).

        I don't expect equal load balancing for such setups but who
knows, we can be surprised in production - we have so many destinations
compared to the number of proxy servers :)

        The other disadvantage when using LVS is that we waste memory
for connection tracking when it is not needed: LVS does not use different
real server for same destination (web server) in these setups with
transparent proxy servers.

> >         Yes, it is simple even without using LVS :) You can even
> > create netfilter module for 2.4 to mark the packets in different
> > way (hashes, etc). Then it is a plain routing.
>
> A netfilter module might be a good way to handle the issue.  What are
> the advantages to this, as opposed to using the LVS as a base?  Is there
> a compelling reason LVS isn't the right way to achieve web cache
> balancing, while netfilter is?

        For the balaning, see above. For the module, this module will
only mark the packets. May be only the NAT mode can be problematic
but are the proxy servers after NAT box really? Because considering the
forwarding methods LVS can give you only LVS/NAT method as a bonus
compared to the other variants with plain routing. Because the demasq
is tricky to run without LVS. But you can use tunneling and direct
routing even without LVS.

> I claim ignorance in both regards.  I know that LVS already does most of
> what is needed for web cache balancing (and Thomas' code adds most of
> what was missing)...What would be needed to write such a netfilter

        May be I'm wrong but IMO this new scheduler breaks the load
balancing and gives you static mapping. It seems that the advantage is
for the users with traffic limits. Of course, this scheduler can be
useful when the proxy servers are not loaded from requests because
this kind of round-robin is dangerous for busy clusters. But we can
see the results only in production.

> module in order to compare the difference performance and managability
> wise?  Got any good links for documentation on the subject?

        Now you guys have to test the new scheduler and to show some
comparisons :) How the real servers are loaded, how the external traffic
is reduced, you know how to do it :)

>                                   --
>                      Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances