Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Release new code: Scheduler for distributed caching
From: Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 04:58:57 -0500
Thomas Proell wrote:

> > >         Yes, it is simple even without using LVS :) You can even
> > > create netfilter module for 2.4 to mark the packets in different
> > > way (hashes, etc). Then it is a plain routing.
>
> Please don't tell me, that the work was for nothing :-)
> Can we implement tunneling with a netfilter module?

Hehehe.. I truly don't think the work was done for nothing.  I think
Julian has somewhat less familiarity with web caching than with other
types of balancing and doesn't realize the implications of a plain
routing method, which on first glance looks ok, but falls apart under
examination.  (Though a hash based netfilter module possibly could
answer the same needs.  But someone would have to code it.)

There are a lot of good things about LVS apart from the round robin and
other 'real' balancing methods available.  NAT, DR, and Tunnelling,
provides a lot of great flexibility for a web cache cluster...Perhaps a
netfilter module could be written to do the same thing, but LVS+your
scheduler is here now and looks like it will work great (only looked at
the code, haven't installed it and set up a cluster yet).

Just my .02
                                  --
                     Joe Cooper <joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                 Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances