Persistence without IP or cookies?

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Persistence without IP or cookies?
From: "Andy Marsh" <andy_marsh1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:21:55 -0000
We are trying to set-up a server farm with the
following configuration:

Two load balancers
7 backend servers.

The problem is as follows:

We need client-server persistency, but cannot use
cookies or IP addresses (our clients are behind
very restrictive proxies/firewalls).

We will use Apache/Tomcat/Java on the servers but
are looking for the software/hardware to use for
load balancing.

We must allow balancing of the first request from
the client, every subsequent request then being
sent to the same server. Without using some form
of URL redirection (make each backend server have
all served pages have a specific url in them, eg. http://www.foo.com/server1/xxx/xfd/d) is there are
way to do this?

We have considered storing session information on
an NFS server to eliminate the need for persistence,
but this just adds another point of failure and
cost to the system. We have also looked at Cisco's
content manager, Zeus' load balancer Resonate's
load balancer and also F5's balancer. These are
too! expensive.

Any help/comment would be much appreciated. Cheers