Re: Patching kernel

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Patching kernel
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2000 19:41:43 +0100
On Tue, Dec 05, 2000 at 01:36:50PM -0500, Avery (yi)  Davison wrote:
> I thought that there was a previous thread here indicating that LVS
> pre-bundled with other distributions were not the best way to go about
> using LVS, possibly due to outdated patches?
>
> Should I just use the RPMs that came with the CD, or go and download the
> latest 2.2.17 kernel+LVS patches? Are the features and bugfixes major
> enough that I will see a difference in performance on old boxes?

Performance wise there should be no difference. In terms of
features an bugs, there may well be a diference. I'm not in
the distributions-with-LVS-are-evil camp, so I'll let you decide.

You should keep in mind that by rolling your own kernel
you may loose some features that the distribution supplied
kernel has. On the other hand, by doing it yourslef you
will know exactly what is in your kernel. Its up to you.

--
Horms