Re: keepalived (was Re: News contrib to LVS)

To: Alexandre Cassen <Alexandre.Cassen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: keepalived (was Re: News contrib to LVS)
Cc: <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 14:38:39 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Tue, 26 Dec 2000, Alexandre Cassen wrote:

> >         This can be a very very long discussion :)
>
> Of course yes !!! :))) I think many interresting things .... do not give an
> 8. point otherwise i will not stop coding !!!! :))

        :) No problem, we have different ideas. I'm in process of
implementing my ideas, here are some old links:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=96432992117737&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=96252502113930&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=96268604328970&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-virtual-server&m=95959865123051&w=2

        The main things in my TODO list:

- the director registers for resource information from the real servers

- the real servers report resource information, real service state

- the admin selects expression from load parameters for the different
virtual services and real hosts (OS differences, differences in the
hardware, etc)

- L4 and L7 checks in the real servers

- L3 and other L4 and L7 checks in another place

- alerts and notifications

- resource information for Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, HP/UX, WinNT 4,
SCO, Unixware. I still don't have load parameters for Win2K.

- sockopt interface to LVS, etc.

- redundancy: primary and backup directors, different role for different
clusters

- export interface for external reporting tools

- transport protocols: user defined (TCP or UDP)

- libraries: link the code in other cluster tools

- console to manage the clusters, other interfaces for management

        These are the essentials.

        I hope in the next weeks to have an usable version, at least
the agent ported on Linux. When Wensong is ready with the new CVS
repository I'm planning to put this GPL-ed work there. I'll appreciate
help on sticking this software with other programs to make it more
usable, for many admins.

> regards,
>
> Alexandre

Regards